birding-aus

RE: T & T.

To: Alan McBride <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: RE: T & T.
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:45:56 +1000
Tahnks for the comments Alan (and Rob earlier)
As I said in the original e-mail I am very happy to be proved wrong. Obviously
the right amount of time and the judicous use of call playback will get you the
species at these sites (though I haven't been to the Erldunda Whiteface site).
The other thing with the Grasswren site is that it is always busy (being in the
sunset carpark). Hopefully others will have better luck than I (though I will
probably look again if I ever get back to Uluru.
However, I would go back to a couple of my original points:

I suspect Banded Whiteface could be found at a lot of other locations with the
right habitat - the T&T site is still a place to start but if you miss it hear
look in other areas and you might just find it.
The staff at Uluru did not think the Grasswrens were still present at the
carpark (and had very little information on this species at all within the
park). I may have talked to the wrong people, but I think they would be very
keen to know of any sites for this species (particularly in regard to fire
management - it would still be sensitive to loss of spinifex habitat).
Thanks once agin for the update.
Cheers,
Peter

CC: ; :
: T & T.Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:24:27 +1000To:

Peter, Don et al

Being very involved with Richard & Sarah on the original sites for T & T for
these birds and having visited them both many, many times since it was written
I can assure you both of one outstanding bird fact: you dipped! (sorry:-)  )

The birds are at both sites, I saw them last time I went, in October last year
(2007) and I have visited them often more than once a year for the last 15
years!

Banded Whiteface: Yes, they like burnt areas but (and the Erldunda site bears
this out well) if you see an area where it looks like nothing could possibly
live there, then that will probably hold Banded Whiteface! This holds true for
areas I have seen them on Strzelecki Track too! Admittedly last October at
Erldunda we spent a whole day around the site west of the highway walking up to
5 km north south, etc. and didn't see them. The next morning, change of tack,
starting across the Stuart Highway on east side, walked in up to 1 km, played
tape and watch up to 6 birds come screaming in from the distance to the sole
tree on the ridge in front of us! Every time I have visited Erldunda, (10 at
least, I have seen them). It's the Quail-thrush I don't see every-time there,
probably 7 / 10 !!!

Striated Grasswren: Yes, they are there and I have seen them say every time but
one (9/10 say) and that may well have been due to the very hot weather and
prolonged drought on one visit. They are on the hill west of the sunset strip
parking area and they are in the scrub (not entirely spinifex) area east of the
car park. The problem for you now with this eastern side of the site is that
Parks have it closed off to stop people walking in to help regeneration. I have
seen them from the north east end of the car park, simply by playing the tape
and also by walking along the road. Your best bet is very early morning but I
have had them through until about 4.00 pm and also in the middle of the day
when flying in from ASP. Invariably they would live in and move through the
spinifex but are mostly visible on top of the bushes there when taped. The
reality is they haven't gone anywhere else.

Roost sites for owls will vary as long as they have wings and large territories!

Guiding available.

Cheers

Alan

Alan McBride

Be green and read from the screen

e-mail:
Skype me: mcbird101
Mob: + 61 419 414 860

solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If
you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. This e-mail is
also subject to copyright. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or
transmitted without the prior written consent of the copyright owner.