birding-aus

Slide scanning

To: Alistair McKeough <>
Subject: Slide scanning
From: Chris Ross <>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 15:12:09 +1000
I agree they're quite a good scanner, though if you buy from a US site like the one linked, the risk you run is that Nikon in Australia won't honour the warranty or even work on it if you pay if it needs service. They go for about $1000 from Australian dealers. I've used a Canon slide scanner for many years. Slide scanners like this do a great job but they can be slow, particularly if you run the ICE dust and scratch removal. Nikon quote 38 seconds to scan "with no options selected". ICE will slow that down considerably, one review I found suggested scan times of around 2 minutes for a full res scan with ICE enabled. If you can live with the times, it'll do everything you need.

Chris Ross

Alistair McKeough wrote:
Actually, for $700 you can get a scanner that is likely what most people you'd pay to do it for you are using.

Something like a Nikon Coolscan V. They are 4,000 DPI and have ICE (Image Correction & Enhancement) to remove scratches, dust et cetera.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-Coolscan-V-ED-35mm-Film-Slide-Scanner-LS-50-NEW_W0QQitemZ130250541063QQihZ003QQcategoryZ15223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122

Alistair