birding-aus

Painted Finch north of Jerilderie, NSW Riverina

To: <>
Subject: Painted Finch north of Jerilderie, NSW Riverina
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 12:37:40 +1000
Hello all,

I received a call last night (29th) from Tom Wheller (Deniliquin)
informing me of a sighting of a pair of Painted Finch north of
Jerilderie by Geoff and Susan Plumb of Deniliquin. They were on their
way home from a trip to Cocoparra NP and decided to make a stop at a
nice spot beside the Kidman Way at where the Yanko Creek flows,
approximately 20km north of Jerilderie. To their surprise they picked up
a pair of Painted Finch and observed the birds entering a spout amongst
a dry clump of grass.

I couldn't pass up the opportunity and headed down this morning, picking
up the birds soon after arriving. The pair have constructed a nest
within 2 meters of the edge of the road, one bird remaining in the nest
most of the time I was there, while the other bird hangs around close
by, typically staying close to a group of Zebra Finch.

An amazing find by Geoff and Susan. From brief discussions I have had
with others, the closest record of Painted Finch in NSW is from Broken
Hill (records from earlier this year I believe).

Murphy's Law: I stopped at this site on Monday (25th) on our way home
from Bendigo to change our 8 months old nappy. I noted the presence of
Zebra Finch, and thought that there was a good number about. I didn't
get the Binos out, just changed the nappy and headed off.

Photos are available.

Cheers
David Parker
Griffith, NSW