birding-aus

Question about inter-marrying between raptors

To: "Nikolas Haass" <>, "Belinda Cassidy" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Question about inter-marrying between raptors
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:40:39 +1000
Did you see the picture of the two birds flying?  Looking at the relative
sizes, if there are two species there then it must be two males or two females.

Peter Shute

 wrote on Tuesday, 26 August 2008 1:46 PM:

> Belinda,
> Are you sure about the 'mating type things'? I haven't had an
> awfully close look at the pics, but I indeed think you have
> both a C Sparrowhawk and a Brown Goshawk there. Could it be
> that the behaviour is rather territorial than sexual? Nikolas
>
>  ----------------
> Nikolas Haass
>
> Sydney, NSW

sparrowhawk-900.jpg(chasing
off a Baza)

...who is obviously a collared sparrowhawk, with the massively long
middle toe.

Well Mr handsome Sparrowhawk has met a huge scarey monster of a  woman:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/Serenity-photos/SparrowHawk1.jpg(sitting)
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/Serenity-photos/femalehawk.jpg(sitting)

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/Serenity-photos/CollaredSparrowHawk4.jpg(in
flight)

Blurry picture, you can just make out her feet and toe size:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/Serenity-photos/blurryhawk.jpg

Do you think its possible that the collared hawk male fancies a female
Brown Goshawk?? And will they get married?

Cheersm
Belinda