birding-aus

RFI: Photographing Tassie endemics.

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: RFI: Photographing Tassie endemics.
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:43:39 +1000
Marlene

Maria Island is great for Tasmanian Native Hens - in fact you can't avoid
them.  They are pretty common elsewhere but don't have the lack of fear of
humans of the Maria Island birds.  Cape Barren Geese are very sociable on
Maria Island too.

I only managed to see Forty-spotted Pardalotes on Bruny Island and too far
up in the canopy for my camera.  The other endemics just appeared without
too much effort on my part but, again, didn't really co-operate with my
attempt to capture a photographic record.

Have a great trip.

David

             "Marlene Lyell"
             <
             m.au>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  <>
             birding-aus-bounc                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [Birding-Aus] RFI: Photographing
             19/08/08 05:30 PM         Tassie endemics.

             Please respond to

                    .au

Hi All,

       I'll be in Tassie in mid September (pelagic) and hoping to
photograph
as many endemics as possible.

I'm giving a talk in March about Tassie birds, including pelagics and ,
whilst I've photos of Albatross etc, that are suitable,   I've a short
supply of decent photos of Tassie bush birds.

We'll have about 7 days (2 of which will be taken up with the pelagic) and
the intended route, after leaving the ferry, is down the east coast to
Eaglehawk Neck. I'll visit Peter Murrell reserve after the pelagic and then
be heading back up to Wynyard/Devonport..

Would anyone have any other recommendations as to sites along the east
coast, eg: caravan parks or parks, that might provide photographic
opportunities for the endemics please.

I know there are honeyeaters along the Inglis River in Wynyard, but they
tend to stay high in the foliage and difficult to photograph.

Any help with sites will be gratefully received.

Thanks and Happy Birding

Marlene.