birding-aus

Speckled Warbler at Castlereagh Nature Reserve, Sydney

To: "'Troy Mutton'" <>, <>
Subject: Speckled Warbler at Castlereagh Nature Reserve, Sydney
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 20:17:16 +1000
Hi Troy,

I think this bird might be a Golden Whistler female. There seems to be no
rufous margins to the wing so I wouldn't think it was an immature. The wash
on the belly is the colour you'd expect to see merge on a Rufous but I still
think it is a Golden due to the lack of streaking on the breast and the fact
that it has a wing bar.

If this was a Flame Robin, the wing bar would be a bit chunkier, not just a
line. Also, the throat on the robin would be plain, not slightly scalloped
like this bird- a feature more characteristic of whistlers.

Hope this helps,

Sean Dooley