birding-aus

Werribee Visit

To: <>
Subject: Werribee Visit
From: "Isaac Clarey" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:35:26 +1000
Gday,

An enjoyable visit to the Western Treatment Plant today brought quite a few
good birds. Luckily the rain held off for most of the afternoon so we managed
to keep ourselves dry. There were plenty of the usual waterbirds around -
Pink-eared Ducks, massive numbers of Black Swans and the odd Musk Duck or
Hardhead. Particularly noticeable was the complete notice of Australasian
Shovellers. None seen at all. Other highlights included a couple of Brolga's
flying over, Fairy Tern, Cape Barren Geese, Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, a group
of 9 Glossy Ibis and a pair of Banded Stilt. The complete total for the day was
61 species.

In regards to the Little Stint that had been around a couple of weeks ago, I,
at one stage, thought I had rediscovered this little beauty. It was only a very
short view, but a small stint in breeding plumage it was. Most strikingly
obvious was the amount of white that was around its neck and lores. This was
what initially led me to believe it to be a Little. A closer look and checking
of the field guide, then brought me back to earth and the presumption that it
was just a breeding plumage Red-necked. Unfortunately the little bugger was
gone and dissappeared in no time, so I can only presume. But, i guess we can
only hope, so maybe someone will refind it and settle my misidentification.

Cheers, Isaac