birding-aus

BOCA launches BOCA Birding Maps

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: BOCA launches BOCA Birding Maps
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 06:41:12 +1000
The following press release is being issued today to various organisations
and a similar article will appear in this month's Bird Observer:

*******************************

Bird Observation and Conservation Australia (BOCA)  is pleased to announce
the launch of BOCA Birding Maps on our website (www.boca.org.au). BOCA
Birding Maps is an interactive map that provides consolidated information on
bird watching locations and birding organisations throughout Australia.
Interactive tools enable the user to zoom in on sections of the map and to
search for specific types of information (i.e., birding locations, BOCA
Branches, Affiliates and other birding organisations). Selecting a location
on the map – whether it is a birding destination or a BOCA Branch – will
reveal details for that location. In addition, a user friendly Help function
is provided to assist with easy navigation around the system.

Dave Torr, BOCA's Marketing Manager, said "Our aim is to make these maps a
key resource for both local and international birders. Many visitors to
Australia – or indeed Australian birders visiting other parts of the country
– do not know the best places for bird watching or the locations of birding
clubs that they might contact for further information. We have consolidated
information that is scattered throughout the web on one site and placed the
information on a map.  Whether you are planning a trip or looking for
additional information on places to bird, BOCA Birding Maps is the one-stop
shopping website for the information you need."

BOCA Birding Maps is only the first part of what will be a major upgrade to
our website with the aim of becoming the premier website in Australia for
local and visiting birders. The list of birding locations will be expanded
by contributions from birders across the country as the site develops.
Further enhancements will be announced in the coming months.

<#11b9cf3b54b267ae_11b9bbef4890cbd8_11b9b77bcdd2e93d_11b9b6a890e06daf_11b966ba321fd809_11b95e66720b99bf_11b9517b107eec8a_11b94c11936bdc91_11b8fa43eef45323_11b8c1471e30999b_11b8b8e9134d2222_11b8ab261bddb0eb_11b7be01a4aace42_11b7bcac33131f65_11b774a379cf2ff2_11b727873cac5e32_11b70c4e323e277f_11b61f7ddaff6076_11b0a907d8fd7dc9__msocom_1>The
new BOCA Birding Maps may be accessed from the main BOCA webpage (
www.boca.org.au) by selecting "BOCA Birding Maps" from the "Come Birding"
menu on the right hand side of the screen or by the URL
http://www.birdobservers.org.au/BirdingMaps.asp.

Contact<#11b9cf3b54b267ae_11b9bbef4890cbd8_11b9b77bcdd2e93d_11b9b6a890e06daf_11b966ba321fd809_11b95e66720b99bf_11b9517b107eec8a_11b94c11936bdc91_11b8fa43eef45323_11b8c1471e30999b_11b8b8e9134d2222_11b8ab261bddb0eb_11b7be01a4aace42_11b7bcac33131f65_11b774a379cf2ff2_11b727873cac5e32_11b70c4e323e277f_11b61f7ddaff6076_11b0a907d8fd7dc9__msocom_2>:
Dave Torr

Bird Observation and Conservation Australia (BOCA) is a leading
environmental organisation and has been helping conserve the birdlife and
habitat of Australia for more than a century. With a network of 40 branches
and affiliates in the eastern states, our members are actively involved in
bird surveys, education and practical conservation work.
 ------------------------------

So what does this mean - basically a single map of Aus on which we hope to
place as much birding information as possible. We already show more than 50
birding clubs (if you are an official of a birding club that is not on the
map and want to be please contact me - if you are an official of a club that
is on the map and want your entry edited or removed then also please contact
me). We have nearly 400 links to external brochures and guides (and again
let me know if you want to add, edit or remove a link) and we have a number
of actual locations to go birding, mainly in the Melbourne area. There are
quite a few to add to this list as soon as we receive permission from the
owners of the data, and we hope that the list of places to go birding can be
expanded in the coming months but please do not tell me about such places
just yet!

The information on the map has been gathered from a wide range of sources -
bird clubs, councils, tourist boards and private individuals - and we are
grateful for all the support and help we have received from them.

Feedback is of course welcomed - public or private!

You will need a reasonably modern web browser with Javascript enabled. There
is a lot of data to send to your PC, especially the first time you connect,
so a broadband link is recommended.
  --

*Dave Torr*

*Honorary Marketing Manager*

*Bird Observation & Conservation Australia*

 *http://www.birdobservers.org.au/* <http://www.birdobservers.org.au/>

*Helping today's birds survive tomorrow*
*The views in this email are those of the user and do not necessarily
reflect the views of Bird Observation & Conservation Australia. The
information contained in this email message and any accompanying files is or
may be confidential and is for the intended recipient only. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding,
printing or copying of this email or any attached files is unauthorised. If
you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.
Bird Observation & Conservation Australia does not guarantee the accuracy of
any information contained in this email or attached files. As Internet
communications are not secure, Bird Observation & Conservation Australia
does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or
attached files*