birding-aus

Southern Whiteface - Sundown NP, Qld

Subject: Southern Whiteface - Sundown NP, Qld
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:56:31 +1000
Hi All

Spent a few days at Sundown NP (west of Stanthorpe,SE Qld). Usual
Turquoise Parrots, a pair of Hooded Robins, heaps of Jacky Winters etc
etc. I met an English birder - Larry from Bristol - who reported seeing
a number of Painted Button Quail. I searched but didn't see them but
there were heaps of platelets in the area he described.
However, the best bird for me was a pair (or two anyway!) of Southern
Whitefaces in a flock of Yellow-rumped Thornbills in the field near the
ranger's house. I have seen this sp elsewhere but it was nice to finally
catch up with them at Sundown.

Cheers
Colin
Brisbane