birding-aus

Spotlighting thoughts and advice

To: "'birding aus'" <>
Subject: Spotlighting thoughts and advice
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:55:16 +1000
I've been reading this thread with a great deal of interest because I've
been thinking for a while about buying some night vision gear for survey
work, but haven't got very far because of lack of experience with this type
of equipment. The thread has actually answered a lot of questions that I had
about this technology.

If you surf the internet you will see that there are several generations of
night vision optics (Gen 1, 2 & 3). Gen 1 is the most basic technology,
relatively cheap and generally available to everyone. Gen 3 is the most
advanced technology, appears to be available mostly for military purposes,
and a single set of optics can cost several thousand dollars.

As far as I can see, the optics that Paul and David use are based on Gen 1
technology. If you believe the advertising blurb on the night vision
websites, Gen 2 & 3 technologies give vastly improved night vision over Gen
1 technology.

It would appear from previous comments that Gen 1 instruments are not that
useful as a serious tool. Has anyone on this list used Gen 2 or 3 night
vision optics for nocturnal wildlife surveys (either for detecting wildlife
or for observing animal behaviours) and, if so, is it worth the investment?

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW