birding-aus

NT Top End trip highlights Pt 1

To: <>
Subject: NT Top End trip highlights Pt 1
From: "Frank Hemmings" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:49:47 +1000
hi All,

I returned recently from a 2 week (28/6-12/7) trip to Top End, NT, covering
some sites around Darwin, Fogg Dam, Kakadu, Katherine area (including
Mataranka), Timber Creek and Victoria River, Adelaied River are and Litchfield
NP.  Some sites I visited have been omitted simply becasue i didn't see as much
at these - many were visited at sub-optimal times of the day, and for many days
the wind was strong, somtimes all day and through the night.  I'm writing a
more detailed trip report with a list of species, but in the meantime, here's
the highlights, mostly focussed on lifers (in UPPER CASE - 33 all up), so there
were many more birds seen (170 total). Thanks to everyone who gave me adice on
the Rufous Owl (dipped) and Red Goshawk (ticked).

Darwin:  saw first of many RUFOUS-BANDED HONEYEATERS, SILVER-CROWNED FRIARBIRDS
& WHITE-GAPED HONEYEATERS around Darwin, especially in the park along the
Esplanade.  A brief trip down to Stokes Hill Wharf produced the only terns for
Darwin harbour - 3 Black-naped Terns, apparently rare at this site, although I
wasn't aware of this at the time.  Two trips to Buffalo Ck at beginning and end
of trip, both at good to excellent tides at sunrise (but crowded on weekend and
school holidays), but no Chestnut Rail despite scanning form the boat ramp for
an hour one morning and 40 min the other.  I did see 2 Great-billed Herons on
one occasion.  First YELLOW WHITE-EYES, RED-HEADED HONEYEATERS & GREEN-BACKED
GERYGONES for the trip.  An afternoon at East Point produced my first ARAFURA
FANTAIL. Plenty of mangrove birds along the track at Stoddart Rd and Bayiew
Drive off Tiger Brennan Drive, saw two MANGROVE ROBINS very well at the pylon
off Tiger Brennan Drive.  Dipped on Rufous Owl at Botanic Gardens.

Fogg Dam: Too many birds to list here, but lots of waterbirds, although I am
sure abundance and diversity increases later in the season.  Saw first of many
PIED HERONS here along with Comb-crested Jacana, Green Pygmy Goose, Wandering
Whsitling Ducks and first Black-necked Stork of the trip.  Saw quite a few
BROAD-BILLED FLYCACTHERS here, where good views underneath the birds showed the
distinctive broad bill very well. Dipped on Mangrove Golden Whsitler in a
brrief stop at Adelaide River bridge, although managed to hear one.

Kakadu: A spectacular park with great scenery and great rock art, along with
the birds.  Saw my first RADJAH SHELDUCK at Gungarre, along with plenty of
other good birds.  Mamukala at dawn was excellent, finally managed to see
LITTLE BRONZE CUCKOO (a pair, had heard but not seen earlier at Esplanade, Fogg
Dam and Gungarre), and also saw first MASKED & LONG-TAILED FINCHES of the trip,
but stacks of other good birds here.  Ubirr excellent for rock art, but even in
middle of day when hot and windy saw the first RUFOUS-THROATED HONEYEATERS of
the trip, and also saw a Short-eared Rock Wallaby at sunset.  Bardedjilidji was
fascinating, heard but couldn't see Sandstone Shrike-thrush and White-lined
Honeyeater, and did see Black Wallaroo.  The Manngarre walk gave frustratingly
brief glimpse of RAINBOW PITTA among others. The short walk from Jabiru to the
Bowali visitor centre was the only site where I saw BLACK-TAILED TREECREEPER
for the trip, and also the best views of VARIED LORIKEET (only site where I saw
these not in flight). I saw my only Bush Stone Curlew for the trip in the
groudns of the hotel at Jabiru.  Nourlangie had excellent rock art, and
although I dipped on the other escarpment endemics, I did get great views of
WHITE-LINED HONEYEATERS here - within 1.5m.  Nanguluwur also had great art, and
lacked the crowds that had built up at Nourlangie but was too hot, too late in
the day and too windy to be good for many birds.  A trip to Gubara Pools later
in the afternoon produced closest veiws of Little Shrike-thrush for the trip,
and finally saw a RAINBOW PITTA well - watched for about ten minutes as it
hopped around a pool only a few metres away.  Dipped on Banded Fruit Dove here
also, but on return walk from pools I saw 3 CHESTNUT-QUILLED ROCK PIGEONS  as
they flew to some rocks at the base of the escarpment where the track passed
close.  Whilst looking at these I saw a SANDSTONE SHRIKE-THRUSH in the same
field of view further behind, although only for a short while.  The cruise on
Yellow waters was excellent, and saw many birds here, both waterbirds and land
birds.  Highlights included the only Brolgas for the trip, a pair of
Black-necked storks at a nest with young, and plenty of other waterbirds with
of RADJAH SHELDUCKS, Wandering Whsitling Ducks, Plumed Whsitling Ducks among
many others.  More  Shining Flycatchers here than at any other site, and very
tame along the short boardwalk.  Also had great veiws of a pair of Pacific baza
as we were getting into the boat.  The nearby Mardugal Billabong walk had a
nice selection of brids, surprising given that this was now the middle of the
day, including a frustratingly brief veiw of a BUFF-SIDED ROBIN, and I saw my
only Little Kingfisher for the trip at the nearby boat ramp the following
morning.  Gunlom was beautiful and great for a swim.  I walked up to the top of
the escarpment and sat waiting for the White-throated Grasswrens but dipped on
these, although there were other good birds up there.  Around the falls and
nearby picinic grounds I saw many BANDED HONEYEATERS along with RUFOUS-THROATED
HONEYEATERS and others.

(Mr.) Frank Hemmings
Curator
John T. Waterhouse Herbarium
School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of New South Wales
UNSW SYDNEY 2052
AUSTRALIA

Tel +61 2 9385 3274