birding-aus

Lamington NP (O'Reilly's section), SE-QLD, Sat/Sun

Subject: Lamington NP (O'Reilly's section), SE-QLD, Sat/Sun
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 06:29:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

Thursday/Friday I was on a business trip to Brisbane. Raja came along as well.
Saturday/Sunday we drove down to Lamington NP:
Lots of Regent Bowerbirds, lots of Australian Logrunners, lots of Green
Catbirds, 6+ Albert's Lyrebirds, 3 female Paradise Riflebirds, a male Painted
Buttonquail and a Pale-headed Rosella with a flock of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos
just outside Lamington - there was also a Corella (looked like a Long-billed;
however because of being distracted by the Pale-headed Rosella I didn't really
carefully check the Corella - are there Little Corellas around in the area?).
Whip-tailed Wallabies (in addition to Red-necked Wallabies), Red-necked
Pademelons and Mountain Brushtail Possums were also cool!

We didn't find the time to seriously look for Rufous Scrub-bird (although we
tried a bit - unsuccessfully - in the Notophagus forest). Other birds of
interest would be Black-breasted Buttonquail, Marbled Frogmouth and Sooty Owl
which we all missed this time. Next time we will be up there 9th and 10th
August (again after a business meeting 7th and 8th August).

Cheers!

Nikolas
Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW