birding-aus

Common names: was Double Bars

To: "Baus" <>
Subject: Common names: was Double Bars
From: "Rosemary Royle" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:38:23 +0100
Keep up the use of peculiar and obscure names I say! Having birded in Oz but
living overseas I can usually work out what is meant (Though at first I thought
that Double Bars were Double Barred Finches - however, obviously not from the
context and location!). Strangely enough there is little use of old or local
bird names in the UK now - I think it has tended to die out over the last 50
years though Birds Britannica has formidable lists of such names.

We have a different naming problem over here - that is, the use of
abbreviations by experienced birders which you feel is almost intended to
confuse or exclude the beginner such as Command Sand, Spot Fly, Gropper
(Grasshopper Warbler) and Pom (Pomarine Skua). I think Barwit falls into this
category though I have to say it is much shorter than the original and is
widely used. The Americans also use Hudwit.

Rosemary Royle
Wales, UK