birding-aus

Beach Thickknee Lays Egg in Captivity

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Beach Thickknee Lays Egg in Captivity
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 19:48:57 +1000
I don't recall this news item getting a guernsey on BAus, so apologies if I'm repeating someone else's post.

The SMH ran an item the other day http://www.smh.com.au/news/conservation/curlew-lays-worldfirst-egg/2008/07/15/1215887613987.html to the effect that Beach Thickknees hand-raised at the Darwin wildlife park had mated and laid an egg - a world first it was claimed.

For some reason, the online version of the article had a picture of the BeTK's Bush namesake, which is a bit rough seeing the two species belong to different genuses. The article claimed that BeTKs "only lived and nested in areas with the right balance of mangroves, sand and rocks". This is interesting in that I have seen them loitering amongst the sand dunes on the surf side of Moreton Island - a fair way from any rocks or mangroves.

The stated benefit of this captive breeding program is it allows 'scientists to learn more about the curlew's breeding biology as well as their diet analysis and "quirky characteristics"' and to 'study their lifestyle and responses to predators to ensure future survival of the species'.

Regards, Laurie.