birding-aus

Sydney Pelagic Report - July 12, 2008

To: "birding-aus " <>
Subject: Sydney Pelagic Report - July 12, 2008
From: "Roger McGovern" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:43:16 +1000

SYDNEY PELAGIC TRIP REPORT

July 12, 2008

Conditions

A pleasant Sydney winter day although it was bitingly cold in the early
morning. We had mostly sunny conditions throughout and air temperatures
ranged from 6degC in the morning up to about 15degC later in the day.

The seawater temperature in the harbour was very cool below 16degC and
reached a high of 17.4degC offshore

Departed at 0810hrs after returning to Mosman Wharf for a late passenger and
returned at 1545hrs

1.0m sea on a 1.0m swell easing as the day progressed

Winds were light south westerly in the morning backing around to the
northeast and strengthening late in the afternoon

Trip Summary

Soon after the Halicat left Rose Bay Wharf at 7.10am with an excellent
complement of 25 passengers on board, a pod of about six Inshore Bottlenose
Dolphins was spotted in the harbour. The delay caused by looking at these
cetaceans was fortunate for the person who arrived very late at Mosman
Wharf, as we were able to head over and make a pick-up. We eventually went
out through Sydney Heads at about 8.10am in quite comfortable sea conditions
and with good numbers of birds in evidence. Several Black-browed and one Shy
Albatross were seen early on but, more interesting were the large numbers of
Fairy Prions close to shore and showing very well alongside the boat so that
everyone had an opportunity to study their plumage characteristics. Also
seen inshore were a couple of Yellow-nosed Albatross, two lovely
White-fronted Terns, a few Fluttering Shearwaters and good numbers of
Australasian Gannets. Two Humpback Whales were sighted swimming steadily
northwards and we tracked these for a while before turning and heading out
to Brown's Mountain on the continental shelf break.

As is always the case when passing through the 'Abysmal Plain' between the
inshore zone and the shelf break, bird life was very scarce with just the
odd Fairy Prion and then a group of five Yellow-nosed Albatross sitting on
the water. A pod of Oceanic Bottlenose Dolphins which rode on our bow wave
also provided some interest on the way out. As we approached Brown's
Mountain, we were not greeted by the usual sight of Providence and/or
Great-winged Petrels wheeling around the fishing boats and, indeed, the only
pterodromas that we saw during the trip were a total of three Providence
Petrels. Very few birds were in evidence as we started a burley trail but,
slowly, we were visited by firstly Crested Terns and Fairy Prions and then
by Shy Albatross (with one showing the characteristics of White-capped
Albatross ), several Yellow-nosed Albatross, a small number of Black-browed
Albatross, four Wandering Albatross (all gibsoni), three Cape Petrels and
some Hutton's Shearwaters. The real highlight of the day however was the
appearance of a beautiful Buller's Albatross, to be followed shortly
afterwards by a second, and both birds sat obligingly on the water near the
Halicat giving superb views and photo opportunities. This was the first time
that we had seen a Buller's Albatross on the Sydney boat for perhaps five
years but, with the birds seen off Wollongong last month and the one seen
from Magic Point a couple of weeks ago, 2008 is obviously a 'Buller's
Albatross year'.

On the way back to Sydney Heads, yet more good numbers of Fairy Prions were
in evidence and despite examining almost every bird with care, no other
prion species were seen. In the last 'good' prion winter which by memory was
2002, Antarctic and Slender-billed Prions were regularly seen amongst the
Fairy Prions but not, so far, this year. Yet another mystery of pelagic
birding! We saw more migrating Humpbacks and a probable Australian Fur Seal
(based on head shape) as we approached the Sydney Heads and a fly-by Brown
Skua added our last new species for the day.

Bird List

(Note that numbers in parenthesises represent the maximum numbers seen at
any one time)

Cape Petrel                                      3 (2)

Providence Petrel                             3 (1)

Fairy Prion                                  140 (20)

Fluttering Shearwater                    10 (2)

Hutton's Shearwater                        6 (1)

Wandering Albatross                       4 (2)      (all gibsoni)

Black-browed Albatross                12 (2)

Yellow-nosed Albatross                19 (5)

Shy Albatross                                  8 (2)       (one probable
steadi)

BULLER'S ALBATROSS             2 (2)

Australasian Gannet                      28 (6)

Brown Skua                                     1 (1)

Silver Gull                                     40 (10)

Crested Tern                                  11 (4)

White-fronted Tern                          2 (1)

Cetaceans

Humpback Whale                            6

Inshore Bottlenose Dolphin             6

Offshore Bottlenose Dolphin         15

Australian Fur Seal                          1

Next Sydney pelagic trip will be on Saturday 9 August, 2008 departing Mosman
Ferry Wharf at 0645 and Rose Bay Public Wharf at 0700. Call Hal on 0411 311
236 to make a reservation

Cheers

Roger McGovern