birding-aus

Re: Are these Orange-bellied Parrots? (WTP)

To: "Peter Shute" <>
Subject: Re: Are these Orange-bellied Parrots? (WTP)
From: Chris Tzaros <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:26:48 +1000
G'day Peter,

The parrots that your friend photographed at the WTP are indeed Orange-bellied Parrots. They appear to both be juveniles based on the pale frontal band (above the bill) and the distinct pale edged primaries. They are clearly OBPs based on their bright overall green colouration. Blue-wings are noticeably duller in comparison - more of an olive green. The blue leg banded bird is a bird that was released at Birchs Inlet in Tasmania late last year. It has been seen numerous times at WTP, often with another un-banded juvenile and occasionally with four banded adult OBPs. They mostly hang about the borrow pits area of the complex though some observers have seen birds adjacent the Spit, near the Western Lagoons. These may well be the same birds wandering about, but who knows?

Could Alan Jordan (the photographer) please contact me directly to discuss the observation details. It is very important that we collate all information on this species as part of our ongoing research.

For more information on the current OBP project and identification information, please visit:

http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/our-projects/identifying-obps.html

Regards,

Chris