birding-aus

Trip report - Western NSW and SW Queensland , 26th June to 9th July 2008

To: simon starr <>, BA email <>
Subject: Trip report - Western NSW and SW Queensland , 26th June to 9th July 2008
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:05:33 +1000
This comment by Simon is very significant.
 Helpful ranger ( Ingrid ) told me birds had dispersed more widely since the
rain, but that numbers were still very low from drought. She mentioned being
very surprised to see a Thick-billed Grasswren recently near Mt. Wood.

Ingrid is the Area Manager (boss of the Rangers) at Tibooburra and if she has
seen a Thick-billed Grasswren at Mt Wood this is the first record in over 50
years. It is listed as Endangered in NSW and HANZAB lists it as "probably
extinct" The last record was a specimen collected near Tibooburra in 1956 (see
http://www2.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/PDFs/approved_ThickBilled.pdf).
I have been off work helping with a new bub, but will have to track this one
down when I get back to work. It is not like Mt Wood is not one of the less
visited parts of Sturt eithr, with accommodation available here.A very
interesting and exciting record.
Cheers,
Peter