birding-aus

Lamington NP Bushwalking RFI

To: Birds <>
Subject: Lamington NP Bushwalking RFI
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:59:14 +1000
Birders,

Thanks firstly to all thos who replied, lots of good information there.

Birdwise, I'm stinging to see the Lyrebird, Regent Bower and
Logrunner. Also part of my idea for sleeping out overnight is a chance
to hear some calls, maybe a cheeky Sooty Owl or Marbled Frogmouth, any
tips on where they might be?

Roughly speaking, we're going to head out from O'reilly's along the
border track, and take the Albert Ck circuit, stopping for the night
near the border with NSW, apparently there's a bush camp already
established there. Then rejoin the border walk, on to Picnic rock,
then around the Box Forest circuit. Not sure which branch we'll take
yet; one seems to go through the gorge and takes in a lot of
waterfalls, the other seems slightly higher up the excarpment and
might have a little drier habitat? I'm trying to take in a good mix to
get a really good idea of the park, as I doubt we'll be back soon.
We'll probably stop for 2nd night somewhere alone Box Ck.

Third day will follow West Conungra track out to the Blue Pool, and
back to O'reillys for a beer and a lie down I suspect. I estimate
about 30k over 3 days, which should be easily achievable, and show us
a lot of the park, which looks sensational!

I think we'll drop in at Kaputar on the way home, but that's another
story entirely.

EB