birding-aus

Ferguson-Lees 2006

To: <>, <>
Subject: Ferguson-Lees 2006
From: "Troy Mutton" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 19:04:46 +1000
Hi John,

There is a discussion of the taxonomy used mentioning the birds you are after
on page 64, which is where the below quotes are from.

The reason given for splitting the Eastern Honey-buzzard is that "it is
reproductively isolated [from the Indomalayan "Crested" Honey-buzzard] and
differs markedly in proportions of bill, tarsus and wings".

The reason given for splitting Steere's Honey-buzzard from Barred Honey-buzzard
is that they are both "endemic island forms ... clearly long isolated and have
constant plumage differences". Further, both species also "mimic ... very
different endemic hawk eagles of their island groups". I assume the mimic
reference is to the plumage as it says to compare the plumages, and they do
look similar, but different enough to distinguish the species.

At the start of the book is a list of species and subspecies. P. steerei
steerei and P. s. winkleri are both listed at the bottom of page 5, as P.c.
steerei and P.c.winkleri., which I assume means Pernis celebensis.

All the above birds are on plates 11 and 12, pp - 98-101.

I picked the book up for around $30 from a net bookshop... can't recall which
one. You have to love the value of the Australian dollar at the moment.

If you've got any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers
Troy