birding-aus

Sparrows

To: "'Nikolas Haass'" <>, "'Rosemary Royle'" <>, "'Syd Curtis'" <>, "'bird'" <>
Subject: Sparrows
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:54:01 +0930
There's no shortage of House Sparrows where I live in NE Adelaide - I
have about a dozen all the time at my place.  I probably encourage them
somewhat by throwing out old bread and buns which they devour eagerly.
This morning whilst putting out some bread I noticed a couple of Noisy
Miners being harassed by a single New Holland Honeyeater. I've only got
one scrappy gum tree which is currently in flower so normally only have
miners as they pass through. Surprisingly the NHH succeeded in chasing
off the normally much more aggressive miners.
I have lots of these NH honeyeaters with one pair at the front of the
house nesting with eggs in a pittosporum bush and many others behaving
nestily around the back garden.

T.