birding-aus

Wildlifing Update: Stewart Island

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Wildlifing Update: Stewart Island
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:02:39 +1000
Hello all,

I've finally completed putting up the last of my New Zealand photographs from last year's subantarctic trip onto my website (www.wildlifing.com). I've moved house and have had lots of internet problems over the last couple of months (hence the lack of updates)- hopefully things have stabilised for a while now that I have found a reasonable internet service provider.

This lot of photos covers Stewart Island and Ulva Island. It includes photos of delectable birds like the Yellowhead, South Island Saddleback and the inquisitive Weka. While I was in the deep south of New Zealand I found myself with a day to fill in at The Bluff and so spent what was a pleasant few hours at Bluff Hill in a lovely remnant of mature forest. I've put up some photos from here as well including Brown Creeper and Grey Warbler.

To update the Australian side of things, I've put up some photos of nesting Pied Oystercatchers, Hooded Plovers and Fairy Terns from Orford, SE Tasmania.

On the Masked Owl front, the surveys are proceeding well. On average I pick up a Masked Owl at about 15% of the sites that I survey. A bit more in really good areas and less in not so good areas. Of course, defining which areas are which is the reason I am doing the surveys. On one night in the north-west of Tas, a few weeks ago, I picked up 3 owls in 8 surveys, the only time I've had 3 owls in in night ( I usually count 1 owl as a successful night!)

Cheers

Mick Todd

--

Michael Todd