birding-aus

NSW, Sydney, Maroubra, Mistral Point, Sea-watch

To: christian haass <>, Raja Stephenson <>
Subject: NSW, Sydney, Maroubra, Mistral Point, Sea-watch
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 00:56:45 -0700 (PDT)
Thursday late afternoon and Sunday morning as well as Sunday afternoon my wife
Raja, my brother Christian and I did some sea-watching from Mistral Point,
Maroubra, Sydney, NSW. We ran into Graham Buchan and Ray Gobbe there.
Thursday (sorry for the late mail):
Little Penguin 1 heard
Giant Petrel spec. 1-2 imm in the distance
Prion spec. several
Fluttering Shearwater 3
Black-browed Albatross 40 (all behind a fish trawler)
Yellow-nosed Albatross 2 (with the Black-brows)
Australasian Gannet many
White-faced Heron 1
Eastern Reef-egret 1
Brown Skua 1
Silver Gull many
Crested Tern many
Humpback Whales 4
On the way back we heard a flock of Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos in the dark.
Today (birds came much closer in today!):
Giant Petrel spec. 1 imm.
Prion spec. 2
Fluttering Shearwater 50 (we didn't see any id'able Hutton's)
Wandering Albatross (looked like Gibson's) 5+
Black-browed Albatross many (we didn't see any id'able Campbell's)
Shy Albatross 1 (cauta or steadi)
Australasian Gannet many
White-faced Heron 1
Eastern Reef-egret 1