birding-aus

Eastern Grass Owl-Moura-Qld

To: <>
Subject: Eastern Grass Owl-Moura-Qld
From: Tony Eales <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 20:00:25 +0000
Hi All,
Had a good sighting on the 18th of June. My job has me out in paddocks walking
transects across the countryside which is great for birdwatching and flushing
quails however this Wednesday I had two owls flush from the long grass in front
of me. After admiring them flying around in a manner suggesting they didn't
wish to go far I moved up to where they had flushed from and found another
hiding in the grass. I presume this was their chick but it looked fully fledged
and quite capable of flying off if it wished. I took a few snaps only one of
which wasn't so obscured by grass as to be useless. It can be found here
http://www.aviceda.org/abid/birdimages.php?action=birdimage&bid=267&fid=23&p=4&pagesize=1
Ten minutes later, still pumped with adrenaline from the sighting, I was
charged by a bull. Perhaps this was punishment for disturbing these fantastic
birds. I don't feel I can give precise location details as this was private
property that I had access to through my work however generally it was 4km east
of Moura along the Banana-Mungi Road. Locals around Moura say there are a lot
of mice around of late and the winter has been to mild to get rid of them. I
guess this is why these owls were breeding at this time of year. Is this
unusual?

Cheers Tony