birding-aus

NSW Blue Mtns Capertee Valley

To: christian haass <>, Raja Stephenson <>, carol probets <>, evan beaver <>
Subject: NSW Blue Mtns Capertee Valley
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:01:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,
My brother Christian, my wife Raja and I had a great trip to the Blue Mountains
and to the Capertee Valley. Thanks to Carol Probets and Evan Beaver for helpful
suggestions!
We saw 121 bird species, 5 mammal species and (only) 2 butterfly species
Highlights:
Blue-billed Duck 14 Lithgow Sewage Ponds (LSP)
Musk Duck 20 (including displaying males) Lake Wallace (LW)
Pink-eared Duck 3 LSP (with lots of Australasian Shovelers)
All three grebes including one Great Crested at LW
White-necked Heron 1 imm Capertee Valley (CV)
Black-shouldered Kite 3 CV
White-bellied Sea-eagle 1 LW
Spotted Harrier 1 adult male CV
Swamp Harrier 1 imm CV
Brown Goshawk 1 ad CV
Wedge-tailed Eagle 6 CV
Little Eagle 2 CV
Brown Falcon 3 CV
Australian Hobby 1 CV
Nankeen Kestrel common
White-headed Pigeon 1 just before Katoomba!
Brown Cuckoo-Dove 2 CV
11 parrot species (dipped on Turquoise again and Swift Parrot)
Gang-gang Cockatoo 15 Mount Wilson
Little Corella common along Glen Davis-Glen Alice Road (with Sulphur-crested
C's)
Musk Lorikeet common Glen Alice (with Little L's)
Southern Boobook 1 GD
Superb Lyrebirds and Rockwarbler both in the Blue Mountains and in Capertee
Valley
Speckled Wabler 2 CV
13 honeyeater species
Regent Honeyeater 5 CV
White-eared Honeyeater 10 Blue Mtns
Black-chinned Honeyeater 6 CV
Brown-headed Honeyeater several CV
Flame Robin 5 LW
Hooded Robin 6 CV
White-browed Babbler 10 CV
Crested Shrike-tit 6 CV
Restless Flyc 7 CV
Black-faced and White-bellied Cuckooshrike 1 each CV
Grey Butcherbird 4 CV
Pied Butcherbird 2 CV
Little Raven 2 CV
White-winged Chough 20 CV (including 2 leucistic ones)
Satin Bowerbird 12 Evan's lookout
Mistletoebird 2 CV
Little Grassbird 1 CV
Yellow-footed Antechinus 1 GD
nothing else besides Eastern Grey, Euro and Red-necked Wallaby as well as a
Common Brishtail Possum.
Cheers,
Nikolas

Nikolas Haass