birding-aus

Scientists rally to keep out 'supercats'

To: Birding-aus <>, Beth Mantle <>
Subject: Scientists rally to keep out 'supercats'
From: Gemfyre <>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:22:57 +0800
Thank you for this.  Agreed 100%.

Belinda
(another responsible cat owner and Conservation Biologist)

On Fri Jun 13 9:20 , Beth Mantle <> sent:

<>
Ah yes, another opportunity to start "cat-bashing" on the Birding-Aus
email list.

I am wearied by those who relish an opportunity to make bird-loving
cat-owners seem like traitors to the Australian Ecology. I think it
is quite rude, and I for one am completely fed up with it. I find it
particularly offensive when I am regaled with tales of cat cruelty, in
the name of "saving the Australian natives", usually after I have
confessed to owning a cat (like a criminal - I feel it is a
"confession").

I could write on for paragraphs as to why (in my humble opinion) cat-
bashers are generally quite ignorant about the complexity of the feral
animal problem, and instead use domestic cats as a scape-goat for the
atrocious way we are managing the Australian landscape.

Instead, read some literature and get informed. Prof, Chris Dickson
from Sydney University (mentioned in the below article) has himself said
"Despite the abundance of observations linking cats to extensive
losses of native species, other evidence suggests that their impact
has been minimal". Furthermore, domestic "suburban" cats are making
very little difference to suburban ecology for the simple reason that
the animals they are killing are dominant species that occur in large
numbers (e.g. Crested pigeon, Magpie-lark, Noisy miner etc.) (Low,
1999).

I agree that introducing the Ashera hybrid into Australia would be a
disaster and I hope it is prevented.

However, domestic cats were brought here by Europeans and they are
here to stay. Instead of attacking cat-owners who clearly have a
strong sense of ecological responsibility (like Bill, who keeps his
cat contained), they should be congratulated and held up to the
general public as a shining example of responsible cat ownership.
Then petition your local council to make cat neutering, registration
and containment compulsory. It is much more productive than "the only
good cat is a dead cat" email or conversation.

Thank you.

Dr Beth Mantle
Ecologist AND cat-owner (gasp!)
Canberra