birding-aus

RFI: Cuba

To: David Robertson <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: RFI: Cuba
From: robert morris <>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 02:38:23 +0000
Hi David

I have been to and travelled extensively in Cuba (as well as all other
Caribbean Islands). You can see everything by going to 4 or 5 locations but
your chances of Zapata Rail and the Cuban form of Hook-billed Kite (and
Ivory-billed woodpecker) are low (non-existent really).

Key sites are Cayo coco, Zapata, Najasa and the Western Highlands around Soroa
/ La Guira.

I did it all using a hire car and used local national park contacts at Zapata
and Najasa to gain access (more than for the birds - although they were helpful
- e.g. for bee Hummingbird 'leks').

I've spent 3 weeks there in total and seen all the endemics well except those
noted above.

Cost - can't really remember but 2 weeks might cost $2000 per person for 2+.
Hotels are inexpensive. Car hire - normal costs I think. Guides next to
nothing. Fuel was nothing exceptional although this may have changed.

Zapata is a massive area and you need to visit 4 of 5 locations within this to
see the key birds.

Field guide - I use the new Birds of the West Indies by Raffaele Wiley
GarridoKeith Raffaele. The birds of Cuba (published by Helm) is useful for maps
and local information

cheersRob Morris  Brisbane, Australia Rob Morris  Brisbane, Australia > From:
> To: > Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008
10:35:51 +0930> Subject: [Birding-Aus] RFI: Cuba> > Has anyone any information
about bird watching in Cuba?> Where to go, method of travel, accommodation,
cost, field guide, ? guide.> David Robertson> Adelaide>
==========www.birding-aus.org> birding-aus.blogspot.com> > To unsubscribe from
this mailing list, > send the message:> unsubscribe > (in the body of the
message, with no Subject line)> to: >
Search for local singles online @ Lavalife - Click here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30290&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Search_OCT07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org