birding-aus

help with ID - immature Golden Whistler?

To: <>
Subject: help with ID - immature Golden Whistler?
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 10:11:18 +1000
Hello birders,

My first day birding for a while led me all the way down the end of my street
and back - I was amazed how far I didn't get, with so many birds out in the sun
after a very wet week.

First up I heard a call I didn't recognise. Then I saw an Eastern Yellow Robin
- not it. Then, hanging around with the Robin was a bird I couldn't identify in
the field. When I looked at the guide at home the closest was an immature
Golden Whistler. I've never seen them near our house but I did actually see a
male and female further down the street a little while later which surprised me.

There were actually two immatures, unless one was a female - the thing is, the
call didn't sound like a GW's call - and the bird had faint striations on its
front. They were both calling in the same shrub - practicing? It didn't sound
right though. Otherwise all fits immature GW, especially the rufous edging to
the wings. Do you think this is what I saw - there isn't anything else it could
be is there?

many thanks,
Arwen
Lawson, Blue Mountains,
Are you paid what you're worth? Find out: SEEK Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org