birding-aus

An odd Bush Thickknee.

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: An odd Bush Thickknee.
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 17:48:19 +1000
My wife was out for a walk around the neighbourhood and came across a thickknee lying flat on the street behind a parked vehicle. She thought it was ill, so I picked up a box and walked around to where she had seen it. It had moved on - it was walking along the footpath and hunkered down behind a guard rail as I approached. I thought it might have a crook wing and so approached it slowly [talking to it as I moved]. It stayed put and I was able to pick it up. It looked OK and stretched its wings out. It was able to run off when I released it.

I know that thickknees are wont to lie flat on the ground when they want to hide - particularly when they are brooding, but it seemed strange that it would let me pick it up. [I was expecting it to move on when I got to within a metre or so.] It didn't hiss or carry on. I'm not sure whether it was ill or a young bird. Has anyone else came across non-brooding thickknees that declined to flush?

Regards, Laurie.