birding-aus

Identifying Myiagra flycatchers

To: <>
Subject: Identifying Myiagra flycatchers
From: "Stuart Johnson" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 11:29:01 +1000
just back from a great trip to FNQ ..... the first time since upgrading my
binos to a nice pair of Swarowskis so everything looked fantastic ......great
birding.

However, a Leaden/Broad-billed Flycatcher ID is bugging me. My gut feeling is
Broad-billed but not prepared to make a final call on it. I called it up (the
bzzzurrrp I use for calling Leadens) and it sat right above our heads,
virtually on minimal focus distance of the bino's and so got a very good look
at the bill in silhouette.

In keeping with the alleged habits of Broad-billed it was foraging fairly low
(higher foraging was available) and didn't flick the tail nearly as much as
what Leadens seem to do...... but they're both pretty vague and subjective
characters.

 I seem to remember one of the field guides had a comparative bill graphics but
can't seem to find them when I need them. Was a bit disappointed that HANZAB
didn't have such a piccy either.

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify
the sender.

Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of the Department of  Lands.

This email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer
viruses.