birding-aus

Australian lists

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Australian lists
From: Phil & Sue Gregory <>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 21:55:14 +1000
Whilst on this subject of lists, and given that Christmas Is and the Cocos-Keeling lie in the Oriental region, I wonder what is the record list for Australia proper ( i.e the mainland and Tasmania and the nearby continental shelf islands, so we give Norfolk and Lord Howe the benefit of being included, as well as (reluctantly) Boigu and Saibai, where a (possibly mischievious) case can be made that sightings there belong with the avifauna of New Guinea and not Australia, with the mid- point of the Torres Strait as the divider. As a similar example, note that the Channel Is don't count for the British list as they are so close to France. I'd also exclude Macquarie Is., and consulting my recently published checklist I make it that these Islands groups add the following numbers to the Oz List (BARC accepted species only):

Christmas Is : 22
Cocos-Keeling: 6
Ashmore Reef 6
Macquarie: 3
Heard Is: 2
Australian Antarctic Territory :1

Total: 40.

Boigu and Saibai add 6.
Norfolk Is adds 9 (counting Morepork....)
Lord Howe adds 5

Getting 700 without these far flung groups is no doubt feasible, I bet Mike Carter, Rohan Clarke and Tony Palliser have done it? Depress yourself and go check, that 700 Club is pretty exclusive if you exclude Christmas, Macca and the Cocos!
Phil Gregory
www. cassowary-house.com.au