birding-aus

Australasian life lists

To: Phil & Sue Gregory <>
Subject: Australasian life lists
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 22:33:05 +1000
I understand that Wallace's line forms a north-western boundary for "Australian" fauna, but where does the north eastern boundary lie?

On 30/05/2008, at 8:40 PM, Phil & Sue Gregory wrote:

I was interested to see the postings about the Australasian life lists on Surfbirds, which are regrettably based on the American Birding Association's definition of what constitutes Australasia. ABA has various listing categories and their Australasian one is defined basically as Australia, Tasmania (which they seem to treat as some sort of distinct entity), New Guinea and Halmahera (though this latter has come and gone between Asia and Australasia, currently I think it's with us) ABA take a bizarre zoogeographic view which excludes New Zealand, and rabbit on about excluding some minuscule Micronesian islands no- one has ever heard of or been to (Tobi, Helen and Kapingamirangi) I seriously think these may be a joke!

Personally I'd include within zoogeographic Australsia NZ, the Solomons, Vanuatu and New Caledonia, and maybe even Fiji, but the ABA has a Pacific Islands listing category so probably wants to keep something in there. I may even make up a checklist along those lines in due course, though we are currently at work on one for New Guinea.

Good birding
Phil Gregory
www. cassowary-house.com.au