birding-aus

Ostrich / Barbary Dove (from Stuart Pell)

To: <>
Subject: Ostrich / Barbary Dove (from Stuart Pell)
From: "Stuart Pell" <>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 12:09:24 +1000
On 24 May 2008, Peter Marsh and I went to Mt. Arden Station (north of Port
Augusta, SA) in search of feral Ostrich. We 'hired' the Farm Manager to drive
us around in his ute., and avoided the need to hire our own 4WD. We started
searching at 730am and found a single bird at approx. 9am, followed by a group
of five at approx.10am. All six birds were nervous, and quickly ran off at
speed into the nearest cover.
Birders interested in looking for the Ostriches at Mt. Arden should firstly
contact the owner, John Wilkinson (08 86438958), for permission to enter the
property. There are two options: use your own 4WD, and drive yourself, having
obtained a 'mud-map' of Mt. Arden Station, or arrange via John that the Farm
Manager takes you around an an hourly rate for time, vehicle and fuel.
Anyone wanting further details should ring me on 07 3202 7212.
We then headed down to Salisbury Downs (an Adelaide suburb) to search for the
Barbary Doves, which Peter had seen on a previous trip earlier this year ( see
Archives).
We eventually found them at dusk in their roost-tree. This is located in pines
on Roscommon Street. We counted 10 birds settling down to roost. There were
possibly more further  into the tree, or in the other pines.
This appears to be a small established population, which locals indicate has
been around for some time.