birding-aus

RFI Grey-crowned Babbler, Mornington Peninsula (Vict.)

Subject: RFI Grey-crowned Babbler, Mornington Peninsula (Vict.)
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:07:12 +1000
A question for those who have any knowledge of the (extinct?) Grey-crowned
Babbler population from Victoria's Mornington Peninsula.

I have been trying to ascertain the last confirmed sightings of the
species on the peninsula, which I believe was probably June 2002 in the
Woodlands Golf Course area.

I know that a few Bird Observation & Conservation Australia (BOCA) members
reported babblers from this area in 1999 and a little later.  Lockwood and
Robinson (1997) have also published a paper on the species from this part
of the state.

If anyone have sightings of babblers (that haven't been atlassed ) I am
very keen to hear about them.  The context of this request is that I have
been provided with a blurry image of a Mornington Peninsula Grey-crowned
Babbler dated 2002 and am interested to know if it may be the only photo
of the species from this area.

cheers, Martin

Ref:
Lockwood, D. & Robinson, D. (1997)
The Grey-crowned Babbler Pomatostomus temporalis on the Mornington
Peninsula ? Going, Going, Gone?
The Victorian Naturalist 114 (6): 269-277.

Martin O'Brien
Wildlife Biologist - Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St.,
East Melbourne  3002
VICTORIA

9637 9869

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notice:
confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright.No part of it should be
reproduced,
adapted or communicated without the prior written consent of the copyright
owner.

If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by return
email, delete
it from your system and destroy any copies. You are not authorised to use,
communicate or rely on the information
contained in this email.