birding-aus

Christidis & Boles Systematics 2008

To: Andrew Hobbs <>, russ lamb <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Christidis & Boles Systematics 2008
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 16:39:52 +1000
Rus,
Just be thankful that we don't follow the plant naming procedure. If the genus
changes which it does frequently then the author of the new genus is also added.
Foe example, the Cabbage Tree Palm (common rainforest palm in SE Australia) was
described by R.Brown in 1810 as Corypha australis. CFP von Martius in 1838 then
placed it in the genus Livistona so the description becomes.
Livistona australis (R.Br.) Mart.
There is obviously a list of accepted abbreviations for plants for people that
described lots of species (Linnaeus is L.) but I am not certain where that can
be found. The date is usually added to the end of the plant name (like fauna)
but as far as I can see it is the reviewers date (which seems odd) rather than
the original description (though I am probably wrong on this one.
Cheers,
Peter> Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 14:10:56 +0800> From: > To:
; > Subject: Re:
[Birding-Aus] Christidis & Boles Systematics 2008> > Hi,> > Normally
parentheses are used to denote species for which the name has > been changed
(eg moved to new genus). The original author is given in > parentheses. The
more recent author who moved (renamed) it is given > without parentheses.> >
Cheers> > Andrew> > russ lamb wrote:> > Like many of you I have been perusing
the Species lists section of this long-awaited tome.> > Not being literate in
the conventions of scientific literature, and having failed to find any
explanation in either the "Introduction"or "Species lists" section of the book,
I am puzzled as to why the second column of the species lists(untitled, but
?obviously author and date of type specimen?) contains unbracketed and
bracketed names and dates. For example on page 38 one finds:> > Hirundo noexena
Gould,1842 Welcome Swallow> > Petrochelidon ariel (Gould,1842) Fairy Martin> >>
> There must be a reason for bracketing (which at a guess is the case in more
than 60% of listed species) but I can't find,or even begin to comprehend, what
that reason is.> >> > I await enlightenment.> >> > Russ Lamb,Maleny,SEQ> >
============================www.birding-aus.org> > birding-aus.blogspot.com> >>