birding-aus

Song Thrush: Friday Bird in Focus

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Song Thrush: Friday Bird in Focus
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 13:50:04 +1000
I think Wendy's point was that the urban gardens Song Thrushes like
(need?) are being gradually removed and replaced with higher density
housing that has little or no garden.  No idea how much of a factor this
is yet, but dual occupancy developments are very common in Melbourne
now, where a house on a large block is supplemented by a second house
(or more) where the back garden was.  Theoretically, every such
development should increase the size of the territory necessary to
support a thrush.

I also agree with Wendy that such developments are necessary to reduce
the need to develop the green wedges, etc, but I'm not comfortable that
the loss of gardens isn't being compensated for with equivalent planting
in parks, etc.  These should, of course, be designed for native birds,
not Song Thrushes.

Peter Shute