birding-aus

Trip to Corner Country/Simpson Desert mid April 2008

To: <>
Subject: Trip to Corner Country/Simpson Desert mid April 2008
From: "Jackett family" <>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 18:13:22 +1000
Hi all,

A little late but my husband and I took a short camping trip to the 'Corner
Country' mid April for nearly 2 weeks.  I am fairly green compared to many of
you when it comes to birding but am enjoying the discussions and am gradually
increasing my bird numbers and field trips. We went on a number of backroads to
Sturt NP, Innamincka, Coongie Lakes, Birdsville, crossed the Simpson Desert and
down through Oodnadatta, Painted Desert, Coober Pedy, Parachilna, Coward
Springs, Broken Hill and back home to the South Coast of NSW. My list is below
with my Lifers highlighted. Started counting from about Bourke!

Emu,Australian Pelican,Darter,Pied Cormorant,Great Cormorant,Little Black
Cormorant,Hoary-headed Grebe,Australasian Grebe,Black Swan,Pacific Black
Duck,Grey Teal,Pink-eared Duck,Hardhead,Maned Duck,Musk Duck (Coongie
Lakes),Black-tailed Native Hen,Purple Swamphen,Eurasian Coot,White-necked
Heron,White-faced Heron,Great Egret,Intermediate Egret ,White Ibis,Straw-necked
Ibis,Brolgas (2 adults with 2 immatures) Birdsville Bore,Masked Lapwing,Banded
Lapwing (12+),Red-kneed Dotterel,Black-fronted Dotterel,Inland Dotterel (25+)
GPS E 565362 N ,762974,Black-winged Stilt,Silver Gull,Whiskered Tern,Caspian
Tern,Gull-billed Tern (Coongie Lakes) Pretty sure the 3rd species seen was
Gull-billed as it had the black cap and black beak,Black-breasted Buzzard (4
soaring over road on track to Coongie Lakes from Innamincka),Black
Kite,Whistling Kite,Wedge-tailed Eagle,Black Falcon (2 perched in dead
tree),Peregrine Falcon,Australian Hobby,Brown Falcon,Australian Kestrel,Rock
Dove,Peaceful Dove,Diamond Dove,Crested Pigeon,Galah,Little Corella,Red-winged
Parrot,Cockatiel,Budgerigar,Crimson Rosella,Australian Ringneck,Red-rumped
Parrot,Mulga ,Blue Bonnet,Blue-winged Parrot,Tawny Frogmouth (Heard
only),Spotted Nightjar (Oodnadatta saw 3 in total),Laughing
Kookaburra,Red-backed Kingfisher ,Variegated Fairy-wren-f,White-winged
Fairy-wren m/f, Eyrean Grasswren (70Kms SW Innamincka on Old Strezlecki
Track),Thick-billed Grasswren (South Lake Eyre lookout),Slaty-backed Thornbill?
(Eye did not appear white and the throat and breast appeared very light -In dry
creek near the Painted Desert), Yellow-rumped Thornbill,Southern
Whiteface,Banded Whiteface,Yellow-throated Miner,Singing
Honeyeater,White-plumed Honeyeater,Orange Chat m/f,Gibberbird (same location as
Orange Chat and Inland Dotterels on Gibber plains),Chirruping Wedgebill (30 Kms
S Innamincka on Old Strezlecki Track),Cinnamon ,Quail-thrush (South Lake Eyre
lookout -m/f,White-browed Babbler,Red-capped Robin m/f ,Crested Bellbird,Rufous
Whistler,Grey Fantail,Willie Wagtail,Restless Flycatcher,Magpie
Lark,Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike (mainly juveniles),White-breasted
Woodswallow,Black-faced Woodswallow,Grey Butcherbird ,Pied
Butcherbird,Australian Magpie,Pied Currawong,Australian Raven,Little
Crow,White-winged Chough,Apostlebird,White-backed Swallow,Welcome Swallow,Tree
Martin ,Australian Pipit,House Sparrow,Zebra Finch (saw many in flocks),Painted
Finch (a few),Common Starling. Also saw some nice Dragons, Skinks, Sand
Monitor, Dingos, Roos, a Camel, Feral cat and many great wildlife tracks on the
desert dunes.

Regards,

Carla Jackett (Kangaroo Valley NSW)

Water birds and waders poor with very little sightings