birding-aus

Bird recording equipment - Minidisc?

To: Colin Trainor <>
Subject: Bird recording equipment - Minidisc?
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 23:15:37 +1000
I have a Sharp Minidisc MD-MT200. I've used it mainly for recording student performances, where a good quality audio recording is needed without having to lug equipment from venue to venue. It's powered by a li-ion rechargable battery, but it also has a battery pack so I can use rechargeable AAs - much more convenient. THere is a 5v DC input as well. This model has a long play feature and I've been very impressed with its quality and ease of use. I bought a couple of small microphones, one mono, one stereo - they are incredibly sensitive, but clearly not as good as a top range directional mic. Sony make a good stereo mic that plugs into the unit without the need for cables. This model also has an optical line-in socket. Its portability is one of the best features - it all packs up, cables, spare batteries, 3 or 4 spare disks, and fits into a medium sized digital camera case.

My only disappointment is that this unit doesn't record in MP3 format, and I can't do a data dump to my computer - all recording and playback has to be in real time.

You can still buy these units new, but they are usually overpriced and hard to find. I got mine on eBay for about $150. It had been used for a research project and wasn't needed any more. At the time I bought mine it was about twice that for a new one. I've seen blank discs at big electrical chainstores - often in the bargain bin!

Good luck - they are great little devices.

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

Geelong   Victoria   Australia
http://www.birding-aus.org