birding-aus

NSW - A weekend of Sydney rarities - 10 to 11th May 20008

To: "birding australia" <>
Subject: NSW - A weekend of Sydney rarities - 10 to 11th May 20008
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 18:27:34 +1000
I was fortunate to observe 3 Sydney rarites over this weekend.

It all first started at home in Seven Hills when just before I headed out
shopping, I heard the distinct whistling call of a BLUE-FACED HONEYEATER, and I
was soon observing an adult perching on an antennae on the roof of the people
behind us. Wow great to get a rarity from your own backyard and a great way to
start the weekend too! Blue-faced Honeyeaters appear to be resident in only one
spot in Sydney that being at Wisemans Ferry area (approx. 80 km NW of Sydney
CBD) on the north-western outskirts of Sydney and occassionally turn up in
other parts of the Hawkesbury (Keith Brandwood has seen some of the later
birds) but in due course may become well established in other parts of Sydney.

Also that afternoon as I was doing a few chores around the home, one of our
local Peregrine Falcons (this being the small male) was doing 2 rounds over me
(they appear to fly past every half hour) over our backyard in Seven Hills.
There were also several Musk Lorikeets around our place.

On Sunday morning I did a few hours birding at Laughtondale Gully near Wisemans
Ferry where I was able to add to my Sydney list a PIED BUTCHERBIRD. Keith
Brandwood had 2 here about 2 months ago. Like the Blue-faced Honeyeater these
may also become established in Sydney over time. Also at Laughtondale Gully
this morning was a Chestnut-rumped Heathwren (great views), at least 10
Bar-shouldered Dove and loads of honeyeaters (and I mean loads) including Red
and Little Wattlebirds, Noisy Friarbirds, Brown-headed, Yellow-tufted,
White-eared, Yellow-faced, Fuscous, New-Holland and White-cheeked Honeyeaters
and Eastern Spinebills.

On my way up to Laughtondale Gully, I saw a White-headed Pigeon perched on
powerlines (and calling) at Cornelia (between Cattai and Laughtondale Gully)
and there were several Jacky Winters in the area.

And finally during a family picnic this afternoon at Nurraging Reserve (near
Blacktown approx. 40 km west of Sydney CBD) I had some SWIFT PARROTS and
several Musk Lorikeets about. The Blacktown area is probably visted by Swift
Parrots almost anually and it certainly worth keeping your eyes and ears open
if driving through the area. Musk Lorikeets are common in this area also at the
moment.

I had a good wekend indeed.

Edwin Vella