birding-aus

unidentified New Guinea passerines on ABID

To: <>
Subject: unidentified New Guinea passerines on ABID
From: "Dion Hobcroft" <>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 13:34:22 +1000
Interesting photos and agree that photo one is a Tawny-breasted
Honeyeater. Photo 2 is probably the enigmatic Brass's Friarbird Philemon
brassi showing the distinctive pale underparts for this little known
bird. I suspect photo 3-the oriole was possibly the Plain Honeyeater a
bird best identified by its lack of field marks but changed my mind to a
juvenile Tawny-breasted Honeyeater with very neat coverts and the bare
facial patch discernible but not coloured yet like an adult. These
northern TBHE belong to a distinctive subspecies philemon quite
different to Australian birds. All fascinating mystery bird shots.

Cheers

Dion