birding-aus

Re: Local extinction!

To: "Peter Shute" <>
Subject: Re: Local extinction!
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 16:02:28 +1000
Hi Peter, good questions!

This is my understanding of the various fauna databases available to
naturalists to submit their data.  As far as I'm aware only certain
eastern Australian states have any form of fauna atlas.  Victoria has had
its atlas (Atlas of Victorian Wildlife) for about 30 years now.

As you can see there are a number of bird related databases but only a few
of these record all details associated with sightings of fauna and have
associated mapping systems and analysis tools so wildlife can be managed
by the relevant land manager agency.

As a Victorian I send most of my observations to the Atlas of Victorian
Wildlife (AVW), but while travelling anywhere interstate I send data to
the Birds Australia Atlas.  In addition there are sometimes specific
projects that use BA atlas forms (eg. the Victorian Lurg Woodland Bird
Survey) that I sue for those projects.  My atlas for most sightings is the
AVW as one almost always sees other fauna when out birding (mammals,
frogs, reptiles, crays etc).  I recommend the AVW for those who do most of
their birding in Victoria (especially if you record other fauna as well)
but understand some people are happy with using the Birds Australia
BirdData method of lodging their sightings directly.

Link: Birds Australia BirdData -
http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/our-projects/atlas-birdata.html

It's worth being aware that Birds Australia has a data exchange agreement
with the Atlas of Victorian Wildlife which means that each database swaps
its avifauna information with the other.  So reporting to the AVW means
your sightings eventually get into the BA database.

I've generated the following information showing the current state
government fauna databases and, where these do not exist, the relevant
birding group sightings web pages.

a. Australia
Birds Australia Atlas - Australia wide coverage, birds only
Link: http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/resources/databases.html

b. Queensland
Environment Protection Agency (Qld) - Coastal Bird Atlas, Queensland
coastal birds only
Link:
http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/wetlandinfo/site/MappingFandD/ContributeData/CoastalBirdAtlas.html

c. New South Wales
NSW National Parks & Wildlife Department - NSW only, all fauna
Link:
http://wildlifeatlas.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/wildlifeatlas/watlas.jsp

d. Victoria
Department of Sustainability & Environment - Victoria only, all fauna
Link: [in preparation] (email:
Note: currently available on CD-ROM and known as Victorian Fauna Display
(see: http://www.viridans.com/FISVFD/VFD1.HTM)

e. ACT
Canberra Ornithologists Group - ACT only, birds only
Link: http://canberrabirds.org.au/Index.htm

f. Tasmania (books only)
University of Tasmania, Fauna of Tasmania - various animal groups
Link: http://www.zoo.utas.edu.au/FOT2/BookletFOT.htm

g. South Australia
Birds South Australia, SA only, birds only
Link: http://www.birdssa.asn.au/

h. Western Australia
Birds Australia WA - WA only, birds only
Link: http://www.birdswa.com.au/sightings.htm

i. Northern Territory
Birds Australia Atlas 2 - NT, birds only
Link: http://birds.rhyme.com.au/

Hope this helps ... and of course interested to hear what I may have
missed !

cheers, Martin

Martin O'Brien
Wildlife Biologist - Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St.,
East Melbourne  3002
VICTORIA

Notice:
confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright.No part of it should be
reproduced,
adapted or communicated without the prior written consent of the copyright
owner.

If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by return
email, delete
it from your system and destroy any copies. You are not authorised to use,
communicate or rely on the information
contained in this email.