birding-aus

Daintree birds

To: Syd Curtis <>
Subject: Daintree birds
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 20:52:27 +1000
I think you would be lucky to see more than 100 species of birds on the eco spa property.

Regards, Laurie.

On 03/05/2008, at 8:34 PM, Syd Curtis wrote:

Greetings, Oh Twitchers of Birding-aus.

How could you keep away from the Daintree (in north Qld.)?

Among literature in a physio's waiting room, I found a magazine I hadn't seen before: the G Magazine. Claims to be "The Green Lifestyle Magazine". Postal Address is Strawberry Hills 2012 - somewhere in Sydney. Editor, Sara
Phillips.

What caught my eye was the item listed on the front cover: Australia's Top 10 Eco-lodges. And why I raise this on b-aus, is because of the entry for
the Daintree Eco-lodge & Spa.

It is claimed that it has been "named World's Best Eco Spa (by United Arab Emirates Millionaires' Choice in 2006)". But let's not hold that against
them.  More generally, the following is stated:

"These 15 treehouse-like villas seem almost part of the rainforest, which is
appropriate given that they have been built on a 12-hectare property
adjacent to the World Heritage-listed Daintree National Park. The Daintree, after all, is the oldest living tropical rainforest on Earth (about 135 million years old), representing the oldest surviving tract of subtropical lowland rainforest surviving on the Australian continent, and it'd the only place in the world where two World Heritage Areas - the Great barrier Reef and the Wet Tropics Daintree Rainforest - meet. It's also home to 430 bird species and has the greatest concentration of rare and threatened animal and
plant species in the world."

And there's more, but I won't go on.  It's that 430 bird species that
concerns me.  Twitcher's paradise, if true!  But is it?

Seems rather unlikely.  Anyone familiar with the Daintree area like to
comment?

Cheers

Syd