birding-aus

Cunnamulla - SE Qld Road Trip

To: birding australia <>
Subject: Cunnamulla - SE Qld Road Trip
From: Grant Brosie <>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:33:53 -0700 (PDT)
Everyone,

Nick Livanos and I just spent the last week birding through southern Qld
chasing ticks and species we haven't seen in ages. We spent 4 nights at Bowra
Station near Cunnamulla and 2 nights on the Gold Coast. In 7 days we recorded
240 species and saw several ticks each. Below are the highlights:

- Seeing so many herons, egrets, cormorants, darters and terns on Bowra.

- 2imm Black-necked Storks at Coutt's Crossing (thanks Greg)

- 1000+ Plumed Whistling-ducks in various locations from Bowra to Coutt's

- Male Blue-billed Duck at Bourke STW

- 17 species of raptor. We must have seen 100+ Black Kites, 50+ Brown Falcon
and Whistling Kite, 20+ Spotted Harrier, 10+ Little Eagle and Black Falcon.
Others included Brahminy Kite, Osprey and Peregrine.

- 3 Stubble Quail on the road as we were leaving Bowra

- Heaps of LITTLE BUTTON-QUAIL on Bowra. Got several pics during the day

- Lots of Jacana around Coutt's

- Lesser Sand Plover at Illuka

- 1000+ Diamond Doves on Bowra. Never seen anything like it, unreal!

- 1000+ FLOCK BRONZEWING nth of Cunnamulla. Will never forget the sight and
sound. Best moment of the trip. Great photos.

- 3 SQUATTER PIGEON on Cement Mills Rd, Gore. This was totally unexpected. What
beautiful birds. (Thanks to everyone who helped with this species)

- 23 species of parrot! 10 Red-tailed Black-cockatoo in Bourke, 2 Glossy
Black-cockatoo near the Pacific Hwy nth of Coffs Harbour, wonderful views of
Majors, 4000+ Budgies throughout the Cunnamulla area, Pale-headed Rosella in SE
Qld, Bourke's on Bowra and the 4 lorikeets around Gore.

- Seeing Barn Owl, Tawny Frogmouth, Owlet-nightjar and Spotted Nightjar

- Lots of Red-backed Kingfishers on Bowra

- 7+ COLLARED KINGFISHER at South Tweed (thanks Peter)

- 5 Ground Cuckoo-shrike on Bowra

- Varied Triller and Little Shrike-thrush at Illuka

- 10+ Logrunner at O'Rielly's

- Several Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush and Hall's Babbler on Bowra

- 5 species of Fairy-wren

- 25 species of honeyeater including Mangrove at Yamba, and White-fronted,
Grey-headed, Pied, Black and Painted Honeyeaters on Bowra.

- Hundreds of Crimson Chats on Bowra

- Red-browed Pardalote on Bowra

- 50-100 Plum-headed Finch on Bowra

- Seeing my bogey bird...1 male PARADISE RIFLEBIRD at O'Rielly's!!!!!!!!

and finally......seeing 1000+ woodswallows throughout western Qld, mainly
White-browed and Masked with lesser numbers of Black-faced, White-breasted and
Little.

The sheer number of birds out west was staggering. The sound of woodswallows,
budgies and Zebra Finches was constant. Diamond Doves and button-quail flushed
constantly and Crimson Chats shot in front of the car at an alarming rate. Oh
and the Bronzewings......speechless!

Huge thanks to everyone who helped with information, too many names to mention
but thank you SO MUCH!!!!
Thanks to Ian and Julie McLaren, Dean Portelli, and Loretta and Cath for their
hospitality, guidance and delicious food and beer :-)
WHAT A HOLIDAY!!

Cheers,
Grant Brosie
Raworth, NSW