birding-aus

Migrating Birds

To: "'Chris Coleborn'" <>, "'Birding Australia'" <>
Subject: Migrating Birds
From: "Dr Richard Nowotny" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 20:40:05 +1000
Hello All,

I was interested in Richard Nowotny's posting about migrating Yellow-faced

Honeyeaters and other species at Point Addis in southern Victoria.

I was wondering, Richard, if you noted any Tas ssp of Silvereye among the

migrating Silvereye? Did you note any Flame Robin, Striated Pardalote or

Eastern Spinebill?

****Yes, there were "Tasmanian" Silvereyes with the Yellow-faced Honeyeaters
Chris. But none of the other species were in this large swirling flock out
on the point. However down in Ironbark Basin (which I have not visited
before and therefore have no point of reference for resident species, usual
numbers, etc) Spinebills were unexpectedly numerous and there were a few
Striated Pardalotes, but no Flame Robins.  Regards.   Richard**

Over the last month I have been on the coast of the North and North-East of

Tasmania, and have been fascinated by the large flocks of birds preparing to

migrate across the Bass Strait. There have been flocks of hundreds of

Welcome Swallow seen one week and gone by the next week. Flocks of mixed

Honeyeaters, mainly Eastern Spinebill in this instance, (one flock of

Eastern Spinebill numbered around the 100), New Holland and Crescent

Honeyeaters. Some flocks of honeyeaters and Silvereye etc would gather and

take off in a rush and fly out over the ocean, and then back into the

coastal banksia and heathland, before another foray. Seemed like they were

working up the courage to make a final go for it! In the adjoining woodlands

there were large numbers of Striated Pardalote too - presumeably preparing

to migrate too.

One flock of birds that fascinated me was at least 60 Flame Robin. To see so

many amazed me, and five brillant males beside one another on a top fence

wire was a most striking sight. I understand that some Flame Robin migrate

to the mainland. Does anyone know data on  percentage of resident birds that

migrate, why some do and some don't and where they disperse on the mainland?

Regards,

Chris Coleborn