birding-aus

Lewin's Rail - Mt St Joseph pond, Altona, Vic

To: <>
Subject: Lewin's Rail - Mt St Joseph pond, Altona, Vic
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:55:15 +1000
Water is now at about 1.10m and there are a few tiny patches of mud opposite
the southern platform.  I've seen either one or two of the birds several times
during the week during very brief visits on the way to the train around 8am.

I've seen them opposite that platform and also in the reeds 20m to the east.
Each time they've been weaving in and out of the reeds and other vegetation, so
a quick scan might miss them.

I've heard but not seen any Spotless Crakes since the weekend.

I'll try and post a report if the forecast rain fills the pond again.

>> Location:  Melway ref 54 C10, behind Mt St Joseph Girls' College in
>> Altona, north of the railway line. Closest parking to the northern
>> platform (200m) is at the corner of Galvin St and Civic Pde.
>> Truganina Swamp is on the other side of the railway line to the pond.

Peter Shute