birding-aus

Long billed Corella

To: <>
Subject: Long billed Corella
From: "Michelle Plant" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:38:30 +1000
Particia,

What a quandry...

I think the best thing to consider is that it is a wild bird and there are
natural processes that need to unfold for him/her..  birds move between patches
to feed and at the moment your yard is one... when the food has run out - the
bird will move on to another....

Old age, disease these are par for the course, you need to think carefully
before intervening.  If he/she is sick then I would suggest taking him to the
vet.. beware of the risks of engaging with it, however!  Biting / disease risks
eg Psittacosis... there are zoonotic diseases that can pass from him to you -
wise to be mindful of this if it is looking unwell.  (I can give you some tips
if this is the course that you would like to follow).

Personally I wouldn't confine it to an avary - it wouldn't really offer much
dignity to the end of a 'free' life (this is opinion only)... it could bring on
a quicker demise as the bird could become stressed from being held captive.  If
there are other birds in the aviary and the Corella is unwell then you expose
the other birds to any disease that this one may have.  Maybe if he is at the
end of his life - letting him quietly roam around the backyard is a positive
contribution...

Relative to providing some extra food, you could place some greens out/some
cockateil mix, certain brands have extra vitamins, make sure some clean water
is available.  If the bird is really sick/dying - it will most likely stop
feeding at some point.

I think a little trust in the course of nature is good thing... and a little
supportive care without intervening too much...

If you determine that it is a young bird - that is sick - then this might guide
you in a different direction.

Hope this offers some help... happy to continue discussion...

Kind regards
Michelle