birding-aus

Slaty-backed Gull (and other albatross gull) gone

To: Moorhead Family <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Slaty-backed Gull (and other albatross gull) gone
From: R Clarke <>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:24:34 +1000
Hi All,
Just to clarify Bill Moorhead's reference to 'the other albatross gull' at
Hopevale (see below) as I don't think it has been mentioned on birding-aus
before. When I traveled to see the the Slaty-backed Gull back in February a
local from Hopevale (a community to the north of Cooktown and some 20 km from
the coast) told Jan England and I that they recently had a bird similar in size
to the Slaty-backed Gull, but mostly black and white, hanging around with
'seagulls'. He called it an albatross but my questions concerning size,
behaviour etc convinced me that it was a large adult or near adult gull. It had
been seen somewhere close to Hopevale where an outfall from a prawn processing
plant emptied into the sea but it had since moved off. He offered to send me
photos of the bird as he said it had been photographed but I never heard
anymore. Given large black and white gulls do not occur regularly in north
Queensland it was certainly another vagrant. Whether it was a Kelp/Pacific Gull
or something more earth shattering we'll probably never know.

Cheers,
Rohan

Search for local singles online @ Lavalife - Click here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30290&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Search_OCT07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org