birding-aus

The mad lorikeet - update

To: "birdingaus" <>
Subject: The mad lorikeet - update
From: "Bill Stent" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:57:42 +1000
A number of people have asked me about this, so here's an update.  There
will be only one, I think.

I live in Kew East, in Melbourne, by the way.

After we got the lorikeet back from the park, and it began to eat (boy,
did it begin to eat!), it began to get very narky.  I think it might
have been feeling crowded, as at various stages we did have a number of
the neighbourhood kids crowding around for a hold.  Naturally, it wanted
a bit of space.  I get together a bit of an old bird feeder, and put it
up in a dense(ish) wattle tree.  Initially I'd put it at the top of a
washing line post, but I thought it was a bit exposed there (we've had
goshawks around recently).

It spent a day or so at the platform, eating itself stupid.  We had
supplied some commercial "small parrot" food, but much preferred apples,
which it would eat from my hand (my daughter would only approach with
gloves on).  It would call very loudly whenever another rainbow lorikeet
flew past, but its own flying was still weak and fluttery.  I put this
down to being (probably) a caged bird.  Next morning, however, it began
flying around in increasing sized loops, still calling to other rainbows
as they flew past.  The last loop I watched was several hundred metres
in radius.  It also took to perching high in more and more distant
trees, calling loudly.

This morning it's gone completely.  I don't know whether we'll see it
again, but it seems it's more confident of being independent.  Good luck
to it - I hope it continues to rehabilitate itself and doesn't become
goshawk food.  I'm happy to lose some apples from our tree to feed wild
birds.

Bill