birding-aus

collective noun for penguins

To: David Wilson <>
Subject: collective noun for penguins
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:59:15 -0700

Dave-  Merideth Hooper wrote on p. in the introduction to her book The Ferocious Summer:  "I use American terminology when describing the spaces where penguins nest, because at Palmer Station on the Antarctic Peninsula I worked with American scientists.  So "colony" is a discrete collection of breeding groups with discrete boundaries; "rookery" means the complete collection of colonies.  For UK scientists the whole area is a colony, and the collections of breeding groups with discrete boundaries are nest groups."  I realize this does not answer your question directly, but it suggests that there may be a regional difference among scientists when using terminology.   -TATE

Jim Tate
2031 Huidekoper Pl NW
Washington, DC 20007
202 841-2056
Re: [Birding-Aus] collective noun for breeding penguins [Sec=Unclassified]