birding-aus

Minitwitch Post-script

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Minitwitch Post-script
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 04:43:34 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

Just a quick message as there have been a few enquiries about "best" or
"rarest" birds on the weekend's Minitwitch.

A few teams couldn't help but put the Eastern Yellow Wagtail from Ash Island,
which I guess is a hard bird to beat. But it is certainly a regular bird there
and has been present for quite some time, at least over the past couple of
months. So our (Quites) best bird went down as the Spotted Harrier we saw
literally 60 seconds before we saw the EYW from (obviously) the same location.
This bird is reported from Ash Island and surrounds from time to time, so it's
not really a local rarity.

The Oil Barons voted Red Knot as their best, predominantly I guess due to the
time of year it was found (though Autumn records of these birds from the Hunter
Estuary are still not unusual). The Grumpy Frogmouths had a Little Tern at
Swansea.

So there were no real standouts for 'best birds'...it was just a matter of
getting the 'usual suspects' under the belt in the minimum time elapsed!

Mick Roderick

www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail