birding-aus

Risky Field Guide - Could It Get You Arrested?

To: Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: Risky Field Guide - Could It Get You Arrested?
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:15:40 +1100
Dear All,

A bit off topic, but it may interest some, particularly if they are thinking of going to China. I have been following a thread in the Oriental Birding group about an forthcoming field guide "A Field Guide to the Birds of China, Tibet and Taiwan", by Paul Leader, Geoff Carey and Phil Round. The gist of the thread is that if you are found with this book in China by the authorities, you are likely to lose it and possibly find yourself in an uncomfortable position. Why? Because of the title, which suggests that Tibet and Taiwan are not a part of the jolly little democratic workers paradise. It appears that the title is so sensitive, that two posters to the thread from China have used an entirely different subject line to mask their posts, in which they expressed their concerns about the title, one saying "I am sure it will not be allowed to buy and use inside China. Even the publisher and authors may face some trouble to visit China. So I suggest the author to change the name of this field guide".

The things you have to think about when you go birding.

Carl Clifford

PS if any one wants the links to the Chinese posting, I am happy to provide off list, provided you can prove you are not from the Ministry of State Security.